What is Thyroid Cancer?
Thyroid cancer is a disease in which the cells of cancer are found in thyroid glands. The thyroid glands are the lower part of the throat. This is a rare type of cancer. People in their 30s and those over the age of 60 may be infected by this disease. Women are 2 to 3 times more likely to develop it than men.
Types of Thyroid Cancer:
Generally, there are mainly four main types of thyroid cancer which are based on how the cancer cells look under a microscope. They are:
Symptoms of Thyroid Cancer:
If you have the symptoms which are given below please talk to your doctor right away. The symptoms are:
- Pain in the front of the neck and sometimes it travels upward to the ears.
- A lump in the neck, sometimes growing quickly.
- Swelling in the neck.
- Hoarseness or other voice changes that do not go away.
- A constant cough that does not contain due to cold
- Trouble swallowing.
- Trouble breathing.
Many of these symptoms can also be caused by non-cancerous conditions or even other cancer of the neck area.
Remedy of Thyroid Cancer:
Different tests and procedures are used to diagnose thyroid cancer. Which is as follows:
- Physical exam
- Blood tests
- Ultrasound imaging
- Removing a sample of thyroid tissue
- Other imaging tests
- Genetic testing
Most of thyroid cancer can be cured by treatment. Very small thyroid cancer that has a low risk of spreading in the body might not need treatment right away. If the risk risks of thyroid cancer grow then treatment should be initiated. Those are:
- Removing a portion of the thyroid (thyroid lobectomy)
- Removing all or most of the thyroid (thyroidectomy)
- Removing lymph nodes in the neck (lymph node dissection)
- Thyroid hormone therapy
- Radioactive iodine
- External radiation therapy
- Targeted drug therapy
- Injecting alcohol into cancer
- Supportive care