Elopag 50 side effects
This drug has a boxed warning. This is the most serious warning from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). A boxed warning alerts doctors and patients about drug effects that may be dangerous.
- This drug may increase your liver enzymes. This can lead to liver damage. Your doctor will check your liver function when you first start taking this drug and during treatment. If your liver isn’t working well, your doctor may lower your dosage or stop your treatment with this drug.
- Eltrombopag oral tablet is available as a brand-name drug. It’s not available as a generic drug. Brand name: Promacta.
- Eltrombopag comes in two forms: oral tablet and oral suspension.
- Eltrombopag oral tablet is used to treat low platelet levels due to chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) or chronic hepatitis C virus infection. It’s also used to treat severe aplastic anaemia.
Eltrombopag is a prescription drug. It comes as an oral tablet and an oral suspension.
Eltrombopag oral tablet is available as the brand-name drug Promacta. It’s not available as a generic drug.
This drug may be used as part of combination therapy. This means you may need to take it with other medications.
Why it’s used
Eltrombopag is used to treat:
- Low platelet levels due to chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP). This is a bleeding disorder. Eltrombopag is given to people who haven’t responded well to other drugs or surgery.
- Low platelet counts due to chronic hepatitis C virus infection. This drug is used before and during treatment with the drug pegylated interferon and ribavirin.
- Severe aplastic anemia. Aplastic anaemia is when you have bone marrow failure, which results in low levels of platelets, red blood cells, and white blood cells. Eltrombopag is used in two ways for this condition:
- First-line treatment of severe aplastic anaemia. This drug can be used as the first treatment option in some cases of severe aplastic anaemia. For this use, eltrombopag is given in combination with other initial treatments.
- Treatment of refractory severe aplastic anaemia. Some cases of severe aplastic anaemia are refractory, which means the anaemia did not improve after treatment with other medications. Eltrombopag can be used alone for treating these cases of anaemia.
Eltrombopag is not used to treat myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).
How it works
Eltrombopag belongs to a class of drugs called thrombopoietin (TPO) receptor agonists. A class of drugs is a group of medications that work similarly. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions.
Eltrombopag works by increasing cells in your bone marrow. It causes these cells to make more platelets. This effect lowers your risk of bleeding.